Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Professor
Accepted Answer

Ballasted Roof Mount vs Standard

Can anybody explain to me the benefits / difference between using a ballasted mount vs a standard on a roof with a 15% pitch?

I'm talking about these two IronRidge products: IronRidge standard rail vs IronRidge Ballasted Roof Mount

Thanks!
HB

I'm talking about these IronRidge Ballasted Roof Mount  and IronRidge standard rail

Dean
Solar Expert (Solar Solutions)

Re: Ballasted Roof Mount vs Standard

The ballasted roof mount is best for roof's with a 15% pitch

Solar panels on standing seam metal roof?
Dean

Dean

You know I was told the opposite by my installer.  i'm now thoroughly confused.  

Can somebody point me to an article with manufacturer details?

Thanks!

Mick

Dean

[ Edited ]

When it comes time to choose a flat roof solution, the IronRidge ballasted roof mount system is the best & easy choice.

Ballasted roof mount.png

Composed of only three primary components, this intuitive system is easy to learn and even faster to install.

Described by a customer as “the most rugged ballasted system” he’s ever used, the structural steel framework is built to last and backed by an industry-leading 20-year warranty. Even with the heavy-duty construction, the IronRidge ballasted system is light on the roof. Through collaboration with one of the top wind tunnel testing laboratories, engineers have worked hard to develop a system that minimizes the amount of ballast required. In addition, an extruded EPDM rubber footing is available to help protect and maintain your roof’s warranty.

Modular ballasted system works with any size array and easily configures to avoid roof obstacles such as HVAC units or skylights. Since commercial rooftops are never completely flat, the ballasted solution was designed specifically with uneven surfaces in mind. The patent-pending pivoting mounting plate delivers ultimate directional flexibility allowing the system to automatically adjust to the contours of the roof.

Professor

Here's a great video I found that details the use cases for Ballasted.

https://youtu.be/O5SZJwEx_vU?list=UUklxreLzKrjpU62riCmo4zw

Honor Student

@MickS  I totally feel ya. Man Tongue I'm running into the same issues with my installer.  I finally did my own research and found a ton of information on this site.  I've attached a data sheet for you as well. 

This diagram was super helpful to explain to my installer:

iron.JPG

Dean

WE are glad you are getting the response you need. Here is some more information we think will be helpful.

Solar Panel Grants
Solar panels on standing seam metal roof?
Professor

Great Video!

Thanks for sharing!