Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners

Composting - where do I start?

Hi everyone,

I would love to start composting at my home. Would you be able to provide some points for starters? I don't even know where to begin!

Thanks so much Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Re: Composting - where do I start?

How to Get Started

Choose a container that’s made of wood (or some other sturdy material) and no smaller than three by three feet. Place it in your yard in a shady spot with good drainage. Start adding waste in a ratio of three “browns” to one “green.” Browns are carbon-rich materials and include wood chips, straw, branches, and leaves. Greens provide nitrogen and include grass clippings and kitchen scraps, like eggshells and carrot tops. When you’re adding new material, Oshins suggests, dig a hole in the pile and stir the new stuff in so it gets coated with the old mixture.

How to Maintain the Pile

Composting is a smelly process. You’re breaking down food and yard waste, after all. But it shouldn’t be so offensive that the neighbors complain. If you notice a stench, make sure you have enough browns in the pile. (Ask a tree service or a landscaper for extra wood chips or brush.) Also check the moisture level by grabbing a handful of the heap. It should be at about 50 to 60 percent, meaning the compost feels like a wrung-out sponge. If it’s too dry, let rain even out the moisture. If it’s too wet, add a few more browns.

How to Tell if the Compost Is Ready

When it’s ready for use, which could take anywhere from a few months to a year, compost looks and smells like very dark soil. If you’re unsure, put it to the Baggie test: Place a small amount in a plastic bag and take a whiff before sealing. Then place the bag in a drawer for a few days. When you open the bag, the sample should smell the same as it did before. If it smells worse, your compost needs more time in the pile.

Let us know how it goes and if we can help further!

Compostable Bags
Teacher

Just wanted to check how your first composting project is going - please let us know if you need more information.  Looking forward to hearing about your success stories! Smiley Happy

Thank you so much @YaseminR! I am just now starting the process and will send an update to let everyone know how it's going. 

If you have any more tips, please share! Smiley Happy I'd love to hear them