Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Teacher
Accepted Answer

Lightscaping With 16 Million Color Lightstrips

[ Edited ]

Eco Home Automation for Lighting fans!!

My latest report on the Friends of HUE Lightstrips is here! 

Overview:

Controlled by the Hue app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, the Friends of Hue LightStrips are flexible strips studded with LEDs that let you easily illuminate all sorts of spaces. All it takes is an easy wireless connection with your existing  Hue bridge.

A vast palette at your fingertips

These flexible 2-meter LightStrips set your design imagination free. Choose from 16 million colors of light to match your mood or decor. Highlight striking architectural details, define spaces, and illuminate hard-to-reach spots.

LED efficiency

Because LightStrips use innovative LED light, they're long-lasting and extremely energy efficient. So it has a minimal impact on your energy bills.

Highlights

Up to 16 million colors

Connect wirelessly via your existing Hue bridge

Create light settings based on your favorite photosliving spaces.jpg

Tune, dim, and control your LightStrips from anywhere

Create and control your own lighting scheme from the Philips Hue app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Flexible strips adhere to any solid surface

120 lumen output

Requires a Hue bridge, which is available from the Online Store as part of the  Hue Connected Bulb - Starter Pack

Only need one Bridge to control 5 Hue Lightstrips individually

Tips for Installation

• Place Friends of Hue LightStrips out of sight to provide subtle or striking indirect lighting.
  • Focus light on furniture or architectural details–and control color and intensity from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  • In order to take full advantage of available "scenes" (lighting color macros based on uploaded images), you'll want to install all of your bulbs in one room or open space.
  • The regular hue bulbs screw into a standard lamp fitting and come pre-paired with the hub out of the box. Connect the base station to a spare ethernet port on your router with the supplied cable and plug in the power, and after a few seconds the three blue LEDs light up to show you're good to go.
  • has added geofencing which means you can have your lights automatically turn on or off when you arrive home or leave the house.

Cinema.jpg

Gotchas!

We had some stability issues with this the first time round, but its become more usable in latter iterations. If you've got multiple apps linked to the same hue online account, they'll share their scene settings too.

Its a wrap!

We were big fans of the original hue system. Smart lighting has been a mainstay of professionally-installed home automation systems for years, but a cost effective and reliable DIY alternative had been sorely missing. bulbs weren't quite as cheap as their  LED siblings, but the flexibility and sheer geek Robot LOL appeal justifies the extra expense

Shine on!!

Honor Student

Re: Lightscaping With 16 Million Color Lightstrips

@Alan  nice review!!  I love this product and have been waiting for EcoHaus to add it to their products. See this post in Home Eco Products - We have supporters for this effort.  

I've found they're less powerful than the original hue bulbs, and more expensive when bought individually, though they do serve different purposes.

I think their best for a warm glow from under the sofa is great for that cinema feeling on movie night, but  they also look just as good running along the underside of a bannister or breakfast bar

UnderCabinet.jpg

Keep on posting the cool stuff! Thanks Alan!

This is awesome. I've never seen this before.  I just did a search online and found some amazing pics of people using it in the coolest ways.. I've attached a few:

Thanks Alan!

hue_hero.jpg
Kitchen lighting.jpg
Hue APP.jpeg
Dean

Hello Folks!

We're so excited you brought this amazing idea to our attention.  You asked for it and we're going to deliver!

We've added Friends of HUE Lightstrips to our catalog and we're ready to take your orders! Awesomeness!!

This great news for our Loyalty Program members too! We're offering a promo if you join by December 31st!

Enter Promo Code:  LOYALHUE at checkout!

Cheers,

DeAnna

EcoHaus Community Manager

Honor Student

I can't tell you how excited I am that you have these!!They are going to look GREAT for my Holiday party in 3 weeks!  I'll be sure to post pictures afterwards.  

Just bought the Philips HUE Starter Kit and 3 additional strips.  Thank you!!

Happy Holidays everybody!

Professor

Wish we could put this everywhere.....

Tweet: This is the coolest new product. Lightscaping With 16 Million Color Lightstrips http://bit.ly/1pnesTi  @ecohausme