Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Nest Protect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide
Nest Protect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide

I want to love this product! I just can't give it more than 3-3.5 stars.. In general they work as advertised, but there is a problem...false alarms. I have 7 Nest protects throughout my house, some wired, some wireless. They do what they say, detect when there is smoke or co2, and USUALLY aren't overly sensitive. Once they go off however, it is near impossible to shut them off, and by "them" I mean all 7 of them because of the linked connection. And to be honest, the false alarms scared the **** out of me! The night light feature and the linking with my Nest thermostat is great. With that all said I have had multiple false alarms. To be fair the first time, one of the protects sent me a notice via the app (that I missed) that one of the sensors were failing (after 8 months). The end result was a 3am alarm blasting from everywhere in the house. To shut them off you basically have to get a ladder, take each one down, use a screw driver and take out the batteries. I contacted Nest and they promptly sent out a replacement, but not until you give them a credit card and basically prepay for it... this bothered me, a lot. They refund you once they get the old unit back... but in the mean time you have paid for 2 units, yet you are down one unit in your house for a couple days.

The next couple times were just "heads up". Its only happened the two times since the replacement, which was about 6 months ago, but one time during the day, and once at 2am, my detect in my bedroom shined a yellow light and yelled "Heads UP, There's Smoke In The Kitchen" or.. "Basement". Neither were correct, like at all. I'm sure you can understand how stressful it can be having that happen to you at 2am while your family is in bed (though not after the alarm). It turns into me running around the house for the next hour making sure nothing is wrong. One more time and I'll be throwing the $700 investment in the trash and will have to buy something more old school/reliable. Assuming the false positive thing is behind Nest (knock on wood), this review can be moved to a 5 star.