Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Teacher

Sports Venues Using Solar

Hey Everyone, I am looking for examples of sports venues that have leveraged solar power. Here is the first in my hometown:

AT&T Park, San Francisco Giants

ATT-Park.jpg

AT&T was one of the first parks in professional sports to embrace solar power and “green” event practices. Their current array can power the giant high definition scoreboard 40x over and the famed McCovey Cove boasts an additional solar array which pumps power back into the San Francisco electric grid.

Keith
Ecomaniac
Professor

Re: Sports Venues Using Solar

Here is another one from my hometown.

Metlife Stadium, NY Jets & NY Giants

MetLife-0812-de.jpg

The BIPV panels, installed in 2012 produce about 25 times the energy needed to power the stadiums most prominent feature, a glowing ring of LEDs that circles the entire stadium. The ring atop MetLife Stadium consists of 47 sections and about 1350 total panels. The panels are what’s called building-integrated photovoltaics (BIPV).The excess power produced goes “into the general stadium use or back to the grid.”

Dean
Solar Expert (Solar Solutions)

Re: Sports Venues Using Solar

Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia Eagles

lincolnfield.jpg

“Since January 2013, 11,000 solar panels and 14 wind turbines have been generating power at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the Philadelphia Eagles. The team’s 10-year-old “Go Green” campaign also includes reduced water and electrical use, recycled paper products for all tissues, conversion of cooking oil into biodiesel fuel, a digital version of the cheerleaders calendar to spare trees and compostable packaging for the hot dogs and Philly cheese steaks.

Signs in the men’s rooms at Lincoln Financial: “Recycle your beer here and your plastics outside.” Among other signs at the stadium: “The only water we waste is sweat.”