Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Professor
Accepted Answer

Solar Panels *with* Curb Appeal

HI,

My husband and I are debating whether to go solar.  My challenge is, I think they lack curb appeal. The front of our home is south facing, so that's the ideal place to put them.  I heard there's some new technologies emerging that are making panels more appealing, or rather, less unsightly. 

Does anybody have any ideas of providers out there for this new solar tech?

Thanks!

Hailey

Teacher
Solar Expert (Solar Solutions)

Re: Solar Panels *with* Curb Appeal

[ Edited ]

Man LOL  Hailey, you and my wife should meet! We've been having this same discussion.

She's done a lot of really great research and we found a company we're think of using. CertainTeeed  They do a lot, like vinyl windows, siding, and they are venturing into this area, with a focus of Curb Appeal. Smiley Happy Their Apollo II solar roofing system, featuring 14 high-efficiency monocrystalline silicon solar cells per module. This equals a power rating of 60 watts per module!!  Its slim profile provides a clean integrated look that a rack mounted system cannot match. Apollo II modules have achieved a Class A fire rating when installed in accordance with the installation manual.

How solar shingles are made is changing, as well, including the use of flexible glass, thin film, and hybrid solar/thermal options. So, we're in luck!

Here's an article that features them. 

A clean look:

solar_shingles.JPG

The IronRidge standard rail is what we had on our last house, but @Ecohaus (!!) we need you guys to get this technology!!

Professor

Re: Solar Panels *with* Curb Appeal

WoW! That's a significant improvement! Thanks @Eddie !!

Anything else you could share? I'm diggin this! And yes, would love to connect.  Is your wife on the EH community?