Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Accepted Answer

A power surge has damaged my solar wind array

Solar power arrays are often exposed to the worst weather that the planet can dish out, including hurricane force winds that can gust up to 200 miles per hour on the U.S. Eastern seaboard and on islands like Hawaii and Guam. Whether the solar panels are mounted on the roof, in a stationary ground array or in moving trackers, calculating wind load is a major factor in the system design.

Wind is one of the most frequent causes of damage to solar arrays, said several industry officials. In Spain, in the middle of the last decade, several large dual-axis solar trackers failed as a result of wind, according to Dan Shugar, the CEO of NEXTracker, based in Fremont, CA. "But horizontal trackers as a category have been very reliable since then, so the solar industry converged on the horizontal track as the best practical way to get energy gain, avoiding all the steel it would take to protect a dual-axis," he said.

Designing To Withstand High Winds

Wind deflection on solar trackers may be the most complicated design calculation in crafting the product since the tracker parts move in a variety of directions simultaneously. "If you don't have a mitigation system, such as a torsion limiter or dampers, the wind can make an array oscillate wildly," noted John Williamson, director of engineering at Array Technologies, based in Albuquerque.

Community Manager

Re: A power surge has damaged my solar wind array

Thanks for your great contributions to the community. This information is really helpful for all of us. We appreciate it.

I noticed you mentioned some issues with the equipment after the surge. We will contact you via PM regarding warranties and replacement units.

== Ecohaus Support Team ==