Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Honor Student
Accepted Answer

Recommendations on Eco Friendly Products

I am gradually attempting to replace both household cleaning products and toiletries with eco friendly and ethically produced items if possible.

Can anyone share their experiences of what is good,bad and affordable from the selection out there? Since many of the things are more expensive I really don't want to make too many mistakes while selling my family on this lifestyle choice.

A

Student

Re: Recommendations on Eco Friendly Products

I use BioD washing powder, washing up liquid and bathroom cleaner (when I don't use the Eco cloths). For personal stuff I don't think you can beat the Faith in Nature range which has soap, shower gel, shampoo etc.

I also use soda crystals and White vinegar. 

I really like the Method range (except stainless steel cleaner), they all work well and smell gorgeous, unlike ecover which I found occasionally adequate and everything smelt like cheap pine. 

Problem with Method is its from the US so loses some green points for the shipping distance. Ecover have just bought them, so I don't know what difference that will make.

Honor Student

The Faith in Nature stuff sounds worth a look at. So far my experiments have included almond,tea tree coconut and lavender oils for various uses,a Neals Yard face cream that was a freebie with a magazine (and is lovely) and some halos and horns shampoo for the kids (which seems to lack a bit of oomph on very dirty hair).

I already use washing soda instead of posh stain removers and it seems every bit as effective and I've ditched the fabric conditioner.I have a nice new box of ecover washing powder to open when my current store's own one runs out.

I agree that e cloths are great. know I need to break my Pledge habit - but what for? 

Thanks for all the advice so far! Keep it coming!

Student

Here is a run down of what we're doing:

Toiletries: Green People shampoo, conditioner, make-up remover, sun cream, moisturiser and eye cream. Mistry's organic potenised soap with vitamin E (which is actually a shower gel and cheap and completely fragrance free and about £3 a bottle)www.houseofmistry.com/shop/organic-soap-with-vit-e-p-15.html - this is a great all-rounder and DH uses as shampoo and face wash too. For Xmas pressies and birthday treats, we're asking for REN and Neil's Yard stuff, which is more pricey but absolutely lovely. We use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. 

Make-up I use Beauty Without Cruelty make up which is really good value and their waterproof mascara is as good as most luxury brands (I actually prefer it to the Christian Dior one I was using previously), I also use Lavera, Organic Glam, Green People and Nvey. I use Dr Lipp's nipple balm (100% medical grade lanolin) as a lip balm / lip gloss, which is just fab. I bought this from Space NK for about £11, it's a small tube but lasts ages and is much better than vaseline. I'm sure there must be a cheaper tube somewhere, I just haven't found it smile

Cleaning Ecover, method and faith in nature. As others have said e-cloths, water, vinegar, bicarb, lemon juice, drops of aromatherapy oils to scent are all great too. Have you thought about a steam mop with attachments for cleaning the bathroom, blinds, kitchen, cooker etc yes it uses electricity but no chemicals and steam will disinfect everything naturally and effectively too. smile

Good luck smile

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Test!

@JoeN wrote:

Here is a run down of what we're doing:

Toiletries: Green People shampoo, conditioner, make-up remover, sun cream, moisturiser and eye cream. Mistry's organic potenised soap with vitamin E (which is actually a shower gel and cheap and completely fragrance free and about £3 a bottle)www.houseofmistry.com/shop/organic-soap-with-vit-e-p-15.html - this is a great all-rounder and DH uses as shampoo and face wash too. For Xmas pressies and birthday treats, we're asking for REN and Neil's Yard stuff, which is more pricey but absolutely lovely. We use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. 

Make-up I use Beauty Without Cruelty make up which is really good value and their waterproof mascara is as good as most luxury brands (I actually prefer it to the Christian Dior one I was using previously), I also use Lavera, Organic Glam, Green People and Nvey. I use Dr Lipp's nipple balm (100% medical grade lanolin) as a lip balm / lip gloss, which is just fab. I bought this from Space NK for about £11, it's a small tube but lasts ages and is much better than vaseline. I'm sure there must be a cheaper tube somewhere, I just haven't found it smile

Cleaning Ecover, method and faith in nature. As others have said e-cloths, water, vinegar, bicarb, lemon juice, drops of aromatherapy oils to scent are all great too. Have you thought about a steam mop with attachments for cleaning the bathroom, blinds, kitchen, cooker etc yes it uses electricity but no chemicals and steam will disinfect everything naturally and effectively too. smile

Good luck smile