Welcome to the LightHaus Community!

Ask product questions, share tips and solutions, and participate in a range of discussions to fuel your discoveries!

Join the conversation:
  • Appliances
  • Solar Solutions
  • Home Automation
  • Home Eco Products
  • Resources
  • Partners
Teacher
Accepted Answer

Batteries and chargers

My kids use so many batteries for their gadgets and toys i though I would invest in some rechargable battery systems.

A rechargeable battery, storage battery, secondary cell, or accumulator is a type of electrical battery which can be charged, discharged into a load, and recharged many times, as opposed to a disposable or primary battery, which is supplied fully charged and discarded after use. It is composed of one or more electrochemical cells. The term "accumulator" is used as it accumulates and stores energy through a reversible electrochemical reaction. Rechargeable batteries are produced in many different shapes and sizes, ranging from button cells to megawatt systems connected to stabilize an electrical distribution network. Several different combinations of electrode materials and electrolytes are used, including lead–acid, nickel–cadmium (NiCd), nickel–metal hydride (NiMH),-ion (Li-ion), and-ion polymer (Li-ion polymer).

Rechargeable batteries typically initially cost more than disposable batteries, but have a much lower total cost of ownership and environmental impact, as they can be recharged inexpensively many times before they need replacing. Some rechargeable battery types are available in the same sizes and voltages as disposable types, and can be used interchangeably with them.

Let me know what you think.

-- KathyS

Teacher

Re: Batteries and chargers

Kathy,

I like your thinking here. I've been doing this for years with great results. Good idea to standardize on one brand and type... Good luck!

*Art*

Community Manager

Re: Batteries and chargers

Kathy, thanks for being a great community member. I like your thinking too. We recommend the IonGreen system for your solution. It's kid friendly, easy to use, powerful, safe, and inexpensive. You'll get a 10:1 savings, which for a normal family of 4, translates to over $500 in savings every year. Since you're a great community contributor, I've sent a coupon to you through a private message. Enjoy!